The British Boer Goat Society
- The objectives of the society shall be to act in the interests of owners and prospective owners and keepers of the Boer Goats in the United Kingdom or such Domains as the Society thinks fit.
- To promote the Boer Goat Breed to the purchasing public
- Members will act with best practice regards to the welfare of their animals;
- To establish, control and maintain an accurate breed register and breed standard;
- To advise and, so far as possible, control the import and export into and out of the United Kingdom of Boer goats, semen and embryos;
- The society shall consist of such owners and prospective owners without limitation as to numbers with the common interest in the promotion of the Boer Goat breed.
- To follow such objects and directions in connection therewith, as the membership shall direct, regards policy approved at the Annual General Meeting and that the committee shall from time to time decide such action to take place in the best interests of the society.
The committee remit for 2015 – 2017 is to provide a society which enables all its members to benefit from knowledge sharing, whether they own two goats or two-hundred. By providing opportunities to learn about the Boer goat breed we will enable breeders to have a better understanding of the standards required, providing them with knowledge to assess their own goats.
Most breeders will already be categorising stock into show or cull groups. Shows and training days will further empower breeders to decide which faults are acceptable to breed out through a selected breeding programme.
During 2016 the BBGS is continuing to promote Boer goats at shows with new displays and literature. We are advertising everyone’s goats through the competitions and we have already organised one knowledge sharing seminar in the North.
Our aim is to hold up to four knowledge sharing days a year in different parts of the country utilising the knowledge of a range of experts thereby providing a balanced view of the breed. The society will also utilise the AGM to provide talks on a variety of aspects of Boer goat keeping.
Aims Of The Commitee
- Improve understanding of the breed by knowledge sharing
- Organize knowledge sharing days in various parts of the country
- Organize shows and advertise the breed more widely
- Organize stands at shows where there are no competitions
- Form a working party of committee and society members to promote the sale of Boer goat meat.